|Tram in Market Street - 1910s|
The cost for laying the rails was estimated at £3,617 per mile.
On Wednesday 28th October 1880, the first completed section from the railway to the post office, at the top of Petty Cury was opened. They began with six cars each drawn by a single horse. On the day of the tramways opening they were running at 30 minute intervals and carried 136 passengers, but within a few days this rose to 1,750 passengers.
The registered offices and stables were found at 184, East Road, but before they obtained these premises the horses and cars were kept in the Great Eastern Railway goods yard.
The year ending June 1887 proved to be the most successful year for the trams, travelling 89,776 miles and carrying over half a million passengers, but this good luck soon faded and the following year saw distinct reductions in profits due to poor weather causing the tramways to deteriorate.
|Trams vs Buses in Regent Street - 1914|
company in order to substitute the old horse power for electrification. The electric tramways never happened, maybe due to the complaints about the overhead wires and the negative effect it would have on shops, close to where cable supports would have to be positioned.
The tramways soon had rivals in the form of a horse drawn bus in 1896. The Cambridge Omnibus Company ran Cambridge's first bus service drawn by horses to compete with the tramways, but they needn't have worried because The Cambridge Omnibus Company went out of business in 1902.
In 1907 James Berry Walford brought his motor bus service to Cambridge and on the 1st August 1907 began Ortona Motor Co. The company brought three new Scott-Stirling single deckers and a second hand Maudslay double- decker, these ran in direct competition with the tramways. The new buses had the advantages that they could travel from the entrance of the rail station direct to the post office and then over the river to New Chesterton. Ortona buses also started fixed stops, while the tramways stopped whenever the passenger requested.
|Final Tram 18th February 1914|